The Department of the Environment and Energy is currently reviewing the Product Stewardship Act 2011. A paper to inform consultation on the review can be downloaded here. The call for written submissions will close on 29 June 2018
Public consultation forums will be held in all state and territory capitals during May and June 2018, with an International forum on product stewardship held in Sydney on 4-5 April 2018.
In addition to the consultation paper and forums, the Department:
- is supporting the Global Product Stewardship Council to hold an international forum on product stewardship, in Sydney on 4-5 April. CLICK HERE for the forum program, with further information is available on Global PSC website
- has commissioned an independent evaluation of the National Television and Computer Recycling Scheme in 2017. The evaluation report will be available on the Department’s website early next week.
Concurrently with the review, the Department is:
- inviting applications for accreditation of voluntary product stewardship arrangements, between 26 March and 28 May 2018. Application documentation is available from the Department’s website.
- consulting on the development of a proposed national approach to product stewardship action on environmental impacts of products, information on which is available here (note that this is a separate process to the Product Stewardship Act review).
- making minor amendments to the Product Stewardship (Televisions and Computers) Regulations 2011, to update settings relating to the estimation of weights of products imported and entering the waste stream each year.